Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Book Meme

Finally, I am now responding to Mikey's Meme from a month ago.

Number of Books I’ve Owned:
I’ve no idea. The number far exceeds every statistic I can think of with the one possible exception of Number of Beers I’ve Drunk


Last Book I Read:
Moonraker by Ian Flemming. This was a complete surprise to me. James Bond, in the books, doesn’t always get the girl.

Five Books that Mean A Lot to Me (yes, Mikey, I have others besides the Narnia Chronicles . . . said with middle finger in the air):

1. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells - This was the first book I remember reading with my Mom instead of her reading to me. I read from it by her bedside on the night she died.

2. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery – This is one of the first things that Leah and I talked about. Yes, it was the original French version. We were trying to impress each other.

3. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand – I first read this for a high school philosophy course. It is the first book I really gave some thought to. My friends and I actually had book discussions outside the class. I’ve reread it at least a dozen times since. It still enthralls me.

4. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas – My favorite book of all time. The classic tale of cold-hearted, kick-ass revenge.

5. The Lymond Chronicles - Dorothy Dunnett has been called the finest historical fiction author ever. These books (there are 6) are one of the main reasons why. You are completely immersed in renaissance Europe and beyond. The references are difficult to comprehend for anyone who didn’t major in English Lit., but they are a wonderful read.

Honorable Mentions: The House of Niccolo series by Dorothy Dunnett, Every Tintin comic book ever written, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, anything by Arturo Perez Reverte

Three People Who Must Now Write About Books: I officially declare this meme dead at my doorstep.