Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Why I Cry


Leah and I were married on June 12, 1999. We were married in Christ Episcopal Church, Westerly, Rhode Island – the church I grew up in. The choir sang. I chose the music.

We had an antique lake boat take us down the Pawcatuck River to Watch Hill. Our reception was at the Watch Hill Inn, overlooking the water.

We had raw bar. And a blue wedding cake, with chocolate seashells, brown sugar sand, and crystallized sugar coral.

My best man, Brian, gave a speech that made everyone both laugh and cry. Instead of tapping glasses with silverware, anyone wishing us to kiss had to stand up and sing a song with the words “love” or “kiss” in it.

Leah and I danced to Come Rain or Come Shine, by Billie Holiday.

Leah danced with her father.

My Mom wasn't there. I never danced with my mother at my wedding.

I cry every time I watch a groom dancing with his mom.