Monday, November 14, 2005

The Quintessential Beauty of Karma

Leah and I often reminisce about the night when we found out we were having twins. We remember every little detail. By far, the most memorable aspect of the entire night, and the following few weeks, were the reactions of all our friends and family when we told them our news. We got stunned silence, jumping and screaming, but mostly, we got laughter. Lots and lots of laughter.

No one, as we can recall, laughed harder than my old friend Amber.

Amber and I have been friends for a very, very long time. She is my all time nemesis in Pitch, although, when we actually play together, we are unbeatable. This is primarily because we cheat exceptionally well. But you’ll never catch us, so who cares.

I take a perverse pleasure in trying to find an excuse to disqualify her from the Annual Stoddard Christmas Puzzle (finished last week, by the way!) every year. Amber is always very kind to point out all the mistakes I make. It’s the least I can do to return the misery.

We have traveled to foreign countries together, more than once. We even, if I remember correctly, tried being boyfriend and girlfriend for a week somewhere around the seventh grade.

And now, dearest Amber, I get the last and loudest laugh.


Amber and her husband Brendan are expecting.

Twins.



Congratulations, my old friend. You will make an excellent Mom.