Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Family Matters

I have quite a lot to post, but apparently I need to fix some technical bugs with my template now that Google has seen fit to screw with it. Fuck it. I’m going to treat this little break like it never happened.

First and foremost, there was an addition to our family. Until now, I have held sole ownership of all new male members of our family. Reluctantly but also happily, I relinquish sole owner ship of this position. John (sorry, Esther, but this is a Dad’s only entry. You know I love you), I know you don’t read blogs, but if you did, I would say this to you.

Welcome to the club. Words cannot express what I felt when I looked into my sons’ eyes for the first time. Here is an attempt at clarity, with no offense to any of the female members of our family.

A Father’s Perspective:

Having a son makes you immediately start to dream of your youth, taking every accomplishment to the next level. Having a son makes you stop and think that everything you did in your youth will not be good enough to pass on. Having a son makes you re-live every episode in your life in the hope that you can teach him something valuable. Having a son forces you to realize that positive male influences are few and far between in today’s society, making the pressure of fatherhood that much greater. Having a son gives you the opportunity to pass on the lessons of your father. Or grandfather.

It is a heavy burden to bear, passing on every lesson that you have learned in this life. But let me reassure you with this: I remember like it was yesterday, the first time that Sam reached up to take my hand, walking down the street together. Aside from when he was born, it was the proudest day of my life. I remember the smiles on Aidan’s and Noah’s faces when they ran into my arms as I walked through the door this afternoon. And I remember every detail in between the two.

So will you.

Congratulations and welcome to our family, Miles. Hockey aside, my goal in life is to be your favorite uncle.

Game on, Mikey & Lou.



Advantage: Me. I live at the ocean (or as our priest so aptly put it, we live on vacation). And I already have a head start. Did any of you catch a marbled salamander this past weekend? Thought not.