Monday, April 18, 2005

The Summer of Our Movie Discontent

Ok, ok, I’m sorry. I’ve been scolded for not posting. It’s not that I’m being lazy. I’ve been working three, yes three jobs for the last week. But after all the abuse I’ve received, I’ve decided to quit one and devote all that saved time to my blog.

I guess the kids will have to make due without food for a while. . .

I have declared this season the Summer of Classic Movies. Walking through Blockbuster, I realized that most movies these days basically suck. If you want my opinion on one of the summer “blockbusters” ask me in December. For the next four months, if Leah and I want to watch a movie, we’re going to see something that was made before we were born.

We started Saturday night with these:

Vertigo
To Catch a Thief
Breakfast at Tiffany’s

We watched Vertigo first. It’s supposed to be the pinnacle of Alfred Hitchcock’s moviemaking career. I fell asleep somewhere in the middle and woke up for the end. Leah conked out ¾ of the way through and never woke up.

Conversation in movies can be so tiring to watch. Maybe we’re just out of practice. We’ve become so accustomed to sweeping cinematic shots, rockin’ soundtracks, or exploding heads. Or maybe Mikey was right about Jimmy Stewart . . .