Monday, May 02, 2005

50% Of Us

Well, it’s finally happened. After many, many conversations with Leah about how none of our friends are divorced, we can’t say it anymore. Statistics say that almost half of every married couple you know will be divorced. I just can’t buy into that one yet. Sadly though, one of my good friends from college recently filed his papers. I thought Ted would be one of the last people I knew to get divorced.

I must admit that Ted and I have not always seen eye to eye. We had quite a rivalry on and off in college. But somehow, we managed to stay friends through it. I was standing next to him when he met his future wife. Since our move to Buffalo, we’ve fallen out of touch. There is a group of college friends that I just don’t speak with anymore. Ted is part of this group.

One person who I talk with regularly is my friend Ryan. In college, Ryan had the honor of being nicknamed “Asshole”. Ryan never felt much compunction to keep his mouth shut whenever he had something to say. This is the man who, in the middle of a crowded hall at a women’s college, laughed out loud and stated, “Half the chicks here are lesbians and the other half are their friends.”

Yes, Ryan has managed to offend just about everyone we met over the years. Strangely, no one seems to carry a grudge. He still sees Ted and on a semi-regular basis. Ryan has mellowed over the years, his biting sarcasm somehow buried back in his throat. Sometimes, it still manages to show itself. Upon hearing of Ted’s situation, Ryan immediately picked up the phone and called him.

“Hey, Ted, sorry to hear about you and Erica, but more importantly, are you keeping the boat?”