Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Posted Through A Wireless Connection!

Our online lives have come to a screeching, crashing, screaming, limbs hacked off to bloody stumps, halt. Friday morning, something evil entered our house through the cable line, destroying our hard drive. After several hours of CPR (Computer, Please Reboot) yesterday, I finally gave in and called . . . wait for it . . . Tech Support.

This was a difficult step for me. One, I’m a male. B, I used to fix computers as a summer job. That was 15 years ago, when Windows 3.0 just came out. PS – I’ve been male for more than 15 years, for those of you not paying close attention.

So tech support tells me in their not too annoyingly thick overseas accent that my hard drive needs to be replaced.

Not good.

They also tell me that it's still under warranty and it will be free.

Not bad.

Then they tell me that we will not get to keep the damaged drive.

Not good at all.

We actually have files we need on it. Business files, not just recipes and pirated mp3’s. So, what do I do now?

Suck my testicles into their cavities and call a computer fix-it guy.

In college, my roommate Jack’s hard drive crashed and crashed badly during the last month of his thesis. He paid someone in Florida over $250 to recover his files. Money well spent, as it probably prevented him from killing himself and everyone in close proximity.

Leah picked up our deadened hard drive earlier tonight, along with all of our recovered files. Thank-you, Mr. Computer Fix-it Guy. Now all I need is Dell to call me back and tell me when my new drive is coming.

Ha.

On the plus side, I’ve finally figured out, just in time for me to turn it in, how to get online with my laptop through a wireless connection.