Monday, May 01, 2006

Let's Go Buffalo!

This scares me a little, but I feel myself getting sucked into the inexplicable fervor that surrounds professional hockey. Maybe it's because when a hometown team makes the playoffs it is difficult not to feel some sort of appreciation. Maybe it's because my fantasy hockey team did better than my baseball teams. Maybe it's the borderline psychotic dedication that my entire family showers upon the Sabres (they took over a local bar in Rhode Island on the night of my wedding to watch Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals). Whatever it is, I find myself actually wanting to watch the games, wanting to see them win and advance.

For the first time in my entire life, I actually watched an entire hockey game on television this past weekend. It was difficult to follow if my attention wavered, but I enjoyed it even though they lost.

I know Sam will be skating this winter, so the pressure is on me to learn this seemingly boring, yet now strangely compelling sport.

Go Sabres!