Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Home Again

After a week of fun in the sun, the Weather God, whom I now officially dub Douchebag, decided to send the floods upon us. Starting Saturday, it rained. And rained. And rained. The concert we were hoping to see was postponed two days in a row, and we feared the worst for the following day.

Our darling, wonderful, precious children had quickly pushed us to the point of infanticide, as they were going berserk from being stuck indoors. So, rather than dig three shallow graves in the mud behind my father’s house, we loaded up the car and headed back to Buffalo a few days earlier than expected.

Our apologies to all those who we did not get to see. We’ll return under better circumstances.

Our last night in town, we were fortunate to receive a phone call from Russell, who invited us over to his future in-laws’ house for a glass of wine. In attendance were a bunch of my friends from growing up in choir – Russell, Saunders, Harvola, Sarah, and Lucy, plus all their significant others.

I felt old. Married seven years with three kids.

Ryan & Alisa are the only other married couple, and they just celebrated their 1st anniversary (Congrats, by the way!). Sarah & Sean are engaged and are getting married this year. Mike & Lucy are engaged and getting married next year. Harvey & Cate are engaged, but I’ve no idea when their date is, as I was so stricken with grief over losing Harvey that I forgot to ask.

What we expected to be a quick “hello/good-bye” quickly turned into three hours of wine and laughter.

My friends, it made me warm inside to see you all so happy. That, plus the wine.