Monday, August 28, 2006

And Don't Call Me Shirley

Men and their movie quotes. Why does it fascinate us so? By the time I was 13, I could recite every line in Animal House. During college, I minored in Monty Python. My mother-in-law is tortured daily at work by younger male coworkers who whisper sweet nothings from Napoleon Dynamite and Ron Burgundy in her ear.

There is a quote for every imaginable circumstance. But imagine what would happen if you tried to use them on your children.

“Daddy, I cut my arm! WWWWwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaa!”
“Stop your crying. It’s just a flesh wound.”

“Daddy, I’m thirsty.”
“Grab a brew. Don’t cost nothin’.”

“Daddy, you’re silly.”
“You are a smelly pirate hooker.”

Doesn’t work as well as it should. We don’t watch too many movies that aren’t rated G (God awful boring) anymore. As a matter of fact, I think I may have watched The Lion King for the 100th time the other day. This means that Sam has watched it 99 times, which explains this little exchange.

Me: Hey, Noah, what’s wrong? Are you ok?
Sam: Sure, he’s at the top of the food chain? Get it?

And he walks off laughing.

Close enough to make my mouth drop and to make Leah laugh out loud when I told her later.